February 21, 2007

"Burning Down the House"

Five years ago when we lived in corporate housing in Atlanta, I was heating some oil on the stove so I could make some fried mushrooms for lunch. Well, I got it started and then the phone rang. I had to run to the back room to get it because Cassidy had been playing with the phone in the dining room and I had unplugged it. Guess who it was... a telemarketer (darn them!). When I got back to the kitchen seconds later the flames from the pan were 4 to 5 feet high and black smoke was rolling across the ceiling. It didn't take long for the sprinklers to come on and not only in our apartment but the 5 floors beneath us. Needless to say, it was a mess! Amazingly enough nothing major was damaged by either the fire or the water. Not even our computer or camera that were doused by the sprinklers. Since Matt's company was paying for our rent and all of the furniture inside of the apartment, we weren't out a dime. They paid for all of the damage. Boy, we got lucky. Or maybe luck had nothing to do with it...


February 13, 2002



No comments: