February 18, 2009

Hawaii - Day Two


DAY 2

We started the day driving from the west side of the island to the east side.  Our first stop was to Akaka Falls.  A beautiful 420 foot waterfall.


We came across this much smaller waterfall along the path to Akaka. Ah, the beauty of nature!


Along the way to/from the falls I saw these Banyan trees and fell in love with them.  They are monstrous trees with huge solid canopies and complex root systems.  Of course this picture doesn't do them justice to their size so just take my word for it.

 


Next we headed south to the volcano.  Honestly, I can't remember it's name but that's pretty par for the course with all Hawaiian names.  It's not my forte. This is a steam vent from the volcano.  It's warmth felt good (it was pretty cold up there) until you walked away feeling damp.   



This was about as exciting as our volcano experience got.  It was still neat but we were a little disappointed that we didn't get to see any lava flowing.



I was really hoping to see something like this... 



Or this...



But instead we got this...


And this.  How can you be upset when you get the opportunity to see a cloud shaped like a dog?



The hardened lava was pretty cool though.



We also hiked through the rain forest to a... 


Lava tube.


Nature is pretty amazing.



We ended the day with dinner at Macaroni Grill -- again. Oh, I could have eaten there every day!  Although I did feel a little guilty.  Afterall, we are in Hawaii.   Shouldn't I try something a little more authentic? But then again, why mess with something you know you love? 

2 comments:

jhoopes said...

Such amazing pictures. Nice to hear about your trip in more details. We have 3 more days coming, right?

Jared and Paige said...

Oh, I wish I had a trip to Hawaii coming up in my own near future. I guess I do have a trip planned to Alaska--which is cool, but it's not Hawaii in February. (Sigh. C'est la vie, I guess.) :) So tell me, how did you learn about photography? Seriously.